Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Throwing up and Snoring

          Last weekend I stayed with my grandsons so that their parents could go on a little romantic getaway. It was about midnight when I was awakened by my grandson’s sweet voice saying, “Nana, I just threw up!”  I jumped up and ran with him to the bathroom like a knight in shining armor. I just knew his little head was going to spin around and propel vomit in every direction before we made it to the bathroom.
            This was such a flashback for me because my daughter, his mom, frequently threw up as a child and sometimes made it to the bathroom, but mostly NOT.  As he is still clutching the toilet, he looks up with his little pale face and says, “Nana, you were snoring so loud when I woke you up!”  Now I could have done without that comment.      
         I finally get him settled down again on the couch and head to his room to survey the damage and determine if I have to rescue any stuffed animals.  It looks like a body has been chopped up all over the carpet.  I thought, “I could hire my own personal cleaning service.”  I quickly ruled that idea out.  I’m actually very excited that it did not end up on the walls.  I have cleaned up countless puke puddles (children, cats, dogs).  I got this!  I debated putting on the yellow raincoat I saw hanging in the closet earlier with goggles along with the yellow kitchen gloves; however, I was afraid if his little brother woke up and saw me, he would think that an evil superhero had come alive and was going to harm him.  Did I mention he has slept through this entire event?     
          Not knowing where they keep their “cleaning up throw-up rags”, I grab some washrags from the master bathroom.  They looked way too pretty for this job, and I soon discovered that these washrags absorb nothing. I have never seen anything like it……you can run them under water for fifteen minutes, and they are still not wet.  Ok, that might be a slight exaggeration.     Cleaning up puke, ahhhhh, just one of those little enjoyable and delightful tasks of parenting and grand-parenting!  I finally climb back into bed thinking, "Hmmmmmm....I wonder if I really do snore loud?" 





No comments: