Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Counting Milestones

       My grandson, Cross, just graduated from preschool.....heading to kindergarten next year. How did the years fly by so fast?  It seems like just yesterday that his mom, my little preschooler, was entering kindergarten. I can still see her bright shining blue eyes, bouncy blonde curls, and adorable little ruffled pink dress. Then in a heartbeat she was graduating from college, getting married, and having her own little ones.     

       I cherish the years that brought us where we are today, but wish I had not counted the days to so many milestones like no more diapers, no more carrying 50 pounds of baby equipment to the car, no more car seats, or no more toys scattered all over the den.

       I had three kids knee-high to a grasshopper and there were many nights when I had no idea how I was going to make it until their bedtime.  It was a sad day when the oldest, Jenny, learned to tell time and knew it was not really bedtime yet.  The constant demands, the needs, and the fighting could sound like extra-long fingernails slowly sliding across a chalkboard….SCREECH.  Hmmmm, the onomatopoeia, screech, just does not capture the sound's power to cause excruciating mental distress.   I have to confess, there were many nights after the last amen was said, I sauntered to the kitchen thinking, "Never fear....the chocolate bar is here."

      Many moms would say to me, “Hold on to all these moments with your children as they are gone before you know it.”  I would sweetly smile, but secretly I wanted to hold them underwater (not my children, the advice giver).        Now here I am on the other side of parenthood, and I would like to say to young parents, “Hold on to all these moments with your children as they are gone before you know it.”  OK, I will now go hold my own head underwater for three minutes.

Footnote:   It is exhausting to be PERFECT and you really don’t have to be perfect. You really are doing an excellent job, and you are not a terrible parent if you just can’t wait for them to go to bed.






No comments: