Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Invisible Wounds

                          
               After getting my grandson, Ryder, ready for preschool, he quickly disappeared. Suddenly he returned with a band-aid that he obviously wanted to wear to school.  I exclaimed, “Awwww, do you have a boo-boo?” Knowing he didn’t, I attempted to put it on his arm.  Smiling sweetly, he pointed to his flawless little forehead.  I gingerly applied the band aid to his fake injury and kissed the delicate pretend wound. 
          Proudly, Ryder sauntered into his preschool classroom that morning, where the teacher immediately made a fuss over his invisible wound.  You would have thought he had gone bungee jumping, catapulted 400 feet in the air, and landed on his forehead.  Smiling in the background, I now understood why he wanted to wear the band-aid.  
          As I reflect on that morning, I am reminded that there are people all around us who have invisible wounds  –  death of a loved one, picking up the pieces of a broken family, loss of health, feelings of rejection, loss of a job, financial troubles, heartbreak from a broken relationship, or disappointments. 
          Invisible wounds seem to hurt even more during the Christmas season. We are surrounded by people who just want the season over.  Thank goodness we have a loving compassionate God who has a ready supply of band-aids to put on our invisible wounds.  His word tells us, “He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.” (Psalm 147:3). 
           God’s word tells us not to look out only for our own interests, but to take an interest in others, too (Philippians 2:4).  As I think about my “area of influence” I am asking God to help me to be sensitive to those around me with invisible wounds, those who are struggling through this Christmas season.  I want to live out my faith in front of others and make the most of every opportunity (Colossians 4:5).
                                                                                                         
Prayer:  Dear God, thank you that you specialize in using ordinary people.  Lead me to people with invisible wounds, and show me a way to bless them.  Help me to live out my faith in front of others and be a positive influence.  Guide me supernaturally and use me to touch the brokenhearted!  Help me not to lose opportunities that I will never get back.  Read:   Psalm 147:3; Philippians 2:4; Colossians 4:5;   
      
                                                                               
                                                                                                   

No comments: