Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Homeless - To Give Or Not To Give

     One day after work this week, I stopped by CVS.  As I was walking in, I noticed a young couple that had been holding cardboard signs on the corner come in behind me.  I've heard that people begging on street corners are making around $200 a day.
     Now I decided to do a “Homeless Experiment” and spy….I mean observe them to see what kind of purchase they were going to make.  The lady went to the perfume section and sprayed and sprayed the free samples.  The man stepped around a corner and started counting his money (with the cardboard signs under his arm).  I decided I should probably quit my “Homeless Experiment” and move on since I was afraid they might wonder why they kept seeing me (and kill me).
      So I wandered over to the vitamin section to make my purchase.  Well low and behold if they didn't suddenly show up in the same spot.  Now the experiment is back on, and I was so impressed they were obviously health nuts since they were actually going purchase vitamins with the money they had been given.
     Wrong…..they then started discussing these little tiny bottles of energy potions and the wonderful effect (adrenaline crush) of mixing it with alcohol.  I am pretending to read the back of the vitamin bottle at this time (although the print was so tiny I could not read a word of it).
       Woe is me…..all of a sudden they realize they can get it cheaper if they use a CVS card.  The man, I will refer to as “Experiment H”, suddenly turns to me and says, “Excuse me mam, do you have a CVS card we can use?”  Using the sweetest voice possible I said, “No, I’m sorry, I sure don’t!”  Yes, I lied!  Hopefully God was not shaking his head at me in an annoyed way.
        The lady now wanders off and “H” turns to me and says, “Pardon my French, but when she sprays that stuff on, she smells like a *%ore!”  (No, that is not ore….put a wh in front of it).  Of course since I had noticed all the perfume she sprayed on at the front of the store, I knew exactly what he was talking about.  At this point, I want to end the experiment and just go check out, but I knew I would not be able to use my CVS card if I did, so I continued to pretend to read the vitamin bottle.
   


No comments: