Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Confession


      Today I gave my students a real life example of cause/effect.  No, I am not proud of this moment….can’t believe I even told them about it, but I DID (and they loved it).   When I was a child, my parents left my brother, Topper, and I home alone.  Well, I decided I wanted to experiment with fire……you know, kind of like a little science project, only without a hypothesis. 
     So, I head out to the carport where I proceed to shred a bunch of paper into little tiny pieces and strike a match! Poof!  It was wonderful……little fingers of fire shot up in the air with a mixture of oranges and yellows. Suddenly burned paper was floating through the air like miniature kites.  Of course I want my brother to experience this scene with me, so call him outside bellowing, “Topper, you have got to come see this, it is so cool!”  He silently and slowly saunters outside to observe my little project and exclaims, “Oh you are going to be in so much trouble when mom and dad get home!” 
     How was I supposed to know the concrete would now be charred and stained with horrid black stains (a reminder of my sin)?  Before long mom and dad returned, and, of course, they immediately noticed the evidence of my science project.
     OK, here comes the worst part of the story…..UGH…..painful to tell!  “Who was playing with matches?” my dad yells.  In my sweetest voice ever, I responded, “Topper!”  Now for the rest of the story, hold on, it gets worse.   My brother, Topper, gets my spanking.  I know you think I am a horrible human being now!   No, I did not end up becoming an arsonist; I can’t even get a fire to stay lit in my fireplace!  Yes, my brother eventually forgave me.   Thank the Lord that this sin (and many more) have been paid for.
     Of course after sharing this science project/cause and effect example, my students wanted to share their sins…..I mean their tales of mischief.  I had to cover my ears and sing, “La, la, la, la, la…..I don’t want to hear this!”  I might now have to go into the Witness Protection Program!  


No comments: