Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Cake Diaster

I am no Martha Stewart!   Last Thursday I decided to bake a retirement cake for a good friend of mine at school, Eunice.  Actually her name is Beverly, but I gave her the retirement name of Eunice.  Now this cake was no ordinary box cake.   The ingredients called for chocolate chips, sour cream, powered sugar, salt free butter (not sure why)…..etc.  MMMMMM…..the house smelled so good while it was baking; however, I knew I was in trouble when I tried to get it out of the pans.

“Don’t panic!” I thought; after all, I know how to fix a broken cake.  There is always a solution, right?  I knew I needed to focus on what I could do before racing out to the store for a last minute substitute.  At 10:00 PM I was online reading things like….How to Fix a Shrunken Cake, Repair a Cake that Looks Like Crap, Manage your Temper when the Cake Sticks to the Pan, and How to Add Rum to a Cake.  I was leaning towards the last one, but I  figured I would not be able to take it to school.

In the end, I did the best I could trying to mend it with the icing.  Did I mention the icing was made from scratch too?  As I headed to bed, I said a quick prayer over my cake!  Standing in front of the refrigerator the next morning, rubbing my eyes, I could not believe what I saw.  My made from scratch cake looked like a boys soccer team had played a game on it!  Yep…..it was really bad.  I thought, “I can still take it to school and just pretend it was intentional!”  In the end, I made that last minute race to the store for a store bought cake!  It was a big hit!  


No comments: